SABARIMALAS AYYAPPA TEMPLE IS A FAMOUS PILGRIMS CENTRE OF KERALA ATTRACTING LAKHS OF DEVOTEES EVERY YEAR FROM ALL OVER INDIA.
The birth and mission of Ayyappa or Dharma Sastha are hinted at in the Vedas and Puranas. But the details of His life and works are found only in legends orally handed down from generation to generation. These legends, though the same in their essential aspect, vary considerably in their descriptive parts. The variations are in accordance with the tastes, preferences and beliefs of the people of a particular locality or state. So, in order to have a concrete idea of the Incarnation and mission of Dharma Sastha, the Vedas, Puranas and legends have to be carefully studied and assimilated.
Ayyappa teaches us the scared principle of brotherhood to remain happy and peaceful. We go in herds to His sacred shrine and He is pleased. Truth, fidelity, devotion and hard work are His ways to kill evil. With these virtues He subdued Mahishi, the incarnation of all sin and evil. His teachings transcend time and help to solve the riddles of human misery.
Kerala is a land of famous Sastha's Shrines. Erumeli Kulathupuzha, Ariyankavu, Achan Koil etc. are other important Sastha temples. Where lakhs of Sasthas are assembling during the Mandala Pooja and Makara Vilakku festivals.
VARIOUS ROUTES AND DISTANCE
1. Erumeli to Pampa Sarasthadam.
(via Peroorthodu, Kalaketti, Azhuthayaar, Kallidam Kunnu, Azhuthamedu, Inchiparakotta, Kariyilamthodu, Karimala, Valiyanavattm-by walk through mountainous forest. 47 KMs.
(This is the holy traditional route)
2. Vandiperiyar(KK Road) to mount Estate(Vehicle) 8 KMs.
3. Mount estate to Sabarimala by walk. 11 KMs.
(This route excludes Pampa)
(Now a days very few pilgrims sojourn through this route. Before the opening of
the Chalakkayam route good number of pilgrims used this route)
Motorable road routes (Bus route):-
1) Erumeli Pampa 80 KMs.
2) Kottayam Erumeli via Kanjirappally 55 KMs.
3) Kottayam Erumeli via Manimala 54 KMs.
4) Kottayam Pampa via Manimala 116 KMs.
5) Kottayam Pampa via Thiruvalla,
6) Kozhenchery, Vadasserikkara. 119 KMs.
7) Kottayam Pampa via Thiruvalla 123 KMs.
8) Chengannur Pampa 93 KMs.
9) Ernakulam Pampa via Kottayam 200 KMs.
9) Alleppey Pampa via A.C. Road 137 KMs.
10) Punaloor Pampa 101 KMs.
11) Pathanamthitta Pampa 65 KMs.
12) Trivandrum Pampa 180 KMs.
13) Ernakulam Erumeli via Vaikom, Paala, Ponkunnam 121 KMs.
PERIOD DURING WHICH THE SABARIMALA TEMPLE WILL BE OPENED FOR WORSHIP
One peculiarity of the Sabarimala temple is that it will not be opened for Worship throughout the year Malayalam Calendar of months is followed in this temple. The following are the days on which temple will be opened.
1. 1st of Chingom (i.e. the New Year day on Malayalam calendar - to 5th of Chingom roughly 16th to 20th of August).
2. Thiru Onam in Chingom 3 days (August or September).
3. 1st five days in the months of Kanni, Thulam, Kumbham, Meenam, Medom, Edavam, Meda Vishu and Karkadakam – more or less the 1st five days in the 2nd fortnights of September, October, February, March, April, May, June and July, in the month of April opening of temple will 4 days prior to Vishu (which falls usually on 14th April), closing will be on 17th, the 4th day after Vishu.
4. For Makaravilakku 1st of January to 20th of January.
5. The annual festival of the temple for 10 days is in December (usually in the 1st fortnight).
6. The Kodiyettu is on the ATHAM DAY.
7. Prathishta Day in the month of May.
8. The Mandala Pooja Festival is on the Mid of November to the last of December.
Nearest Airports : Trivandrum (Distance to Sabarimala from Airport – 160 km)
: Cochin (Distance to Sabarimala from Airport – 190 km).
From Airport Pilgrims has to continue journey by train or by road transport as directed below.
Nearest Railway Stations: Kottayam (Distance to Sabarimala from Kottayam – 125 km)
: Chengannoor(Distance to Sabarimala from Chengannor–80km)
By Road :
Route to Sabarimala from Trivandrum (via Erumeli) :
Route to Sabarimala from Trivandrum (direct) :
Route to Sabarimala from Cochin (via Erumeli) :
Route to Sabarimala from Cochin (direct) :
Pilgrims who are coming from Coimbatore/Northern states of India are directed to take the following route :
Note :Pilgrims are advised to check the latest traffic arrangements once they enter Kerala State.
Kerala State Road Transport Corporation (KSRTC) used to arrange special bus services from major bus stations (for eg. Trivandrum / Ernakulam / Thrissur / Kollam / Kottayam / Thiruvalla) during the entire season.
Click here return